January 21, 2012

Disney ~ Princess Jasmine Costume

My Daughter Bella was invited to a Disney Princess Party during the Christmas School Holiday Break.  And the invitation read to come dressed as your favourite Princess.   Now my children LOVE to dress up but do you think that we had a Princess Costume in sight...Nope!!!!  Of course, then when Bella was asked which Princess she would like to be, she said "Princess Jasmine".   With time running out & no sign of a Princess Jasmine costume in sight & no time left to purchase on-line,  it was up to me to use my imagination to come up with one.  Firstly I scouted through etsy for a handmade PDF pattern that I could have emailed to me within 24 hours, all to no avail.  I proceed to google everything I could think of to come up with a free pattern or any ideas on how to go about making one (see I'm not really up with the characters : : / )...& yet still, all to no avail.  I did however find a couple of blogs showing off their own wonderful handmade Princess Jasmine costume. Many thanks to those pages, I did enjoy looking at others creations & becoming totally side tracked...LOL   Of course I suppose I could of always bought a generic pattern from the local fabric store but I wanted a little more than that. And secretly just between you & me...."I think I like a challenge".   So off to dream land it was.....& the drawing board.   Bella said she absolutely wanted her belly button showing otherwise the costume just wouldn't be right.  Well that actually made things a little easier for me.  What I came up with was in the end was extremely basic but I think totally effective.  And this is one you too can easily make your self.  So if enough interest is shown I will work on putting up a tutorial.  But remember not to hide in the background.  Comments & Questions are always more than welcome.  And don't forget I'd love to see you follow kiddilicious' blog & facebook page.  I like to know that I'm not just talking to myself...LOL

So anyways with out boring you all anymore...here's my version of the Princess Jasmine Costume:  I think it would also look super cool as a Genie's Costume too.


The finished costume with one happy & proud little girl


Here's a look at the back


A closer look at the top & headband


A closer look at the detail of the top & pants with the chiffon overlay skirt. 




So there it is.  I hope you like it as much as what we do.

Kiddilicious xx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi i just love what you have done as i am now in the same boat you were. i have the pantaloons sorted but need a pattern for your top even a rough scetch will do

kiddilicious by Ingie said...

Hi there, Thank you for your lovely comment & sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have now posted a real basic tutorial on how I made the top. I hope it helps..it's very basic but please if there are any questions as you ran through it please don't hesitate to ask. I love to see a photo once you've finished your outfit, so please feel free to share if you wish once your done. Here's the link: http://kiddilicious.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/tutorial-for-princess-jasmine-top.html Or you can find it as my latest post or under the page title Tutorials.
Many Thanks
Ingie :)

Post a Comment